What is CLAT?
CLAT stands for Common Law Admissions Test. It is an all India entrance examination conducted by the National Law Schools/Universities for admissions to their under-graduate and post graduate degree programmes (LL.B & LL.M). The responsibility of conducting the exam is rotated and given on the basis of seniority in establishment.
Quick Facts on CLAT
The Common Law Admission Test (CLAT), is an all India entrance examination, conducted on rotation by 18 National Law Universities (NLUs) for admissions to their Under-Graduate and Post-Graduate degree programmes. The 18 participating NLUs in the order of their year of establishment are:
- National Law School of India University, Bangalore (NLSIU)
- National Academy of Legal Study and Research University of Law, Hyderabad (NALSAR)
- The National Law Institute University, Bhopal(NLIU)
- The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata (WBNUJS)
- National Law University, Jodhpur (NLUJ)
- Hidayatullah National Law University, Raipur (HNLU)
- Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar (GNLU)
- Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow (RMLNLU)
- Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Punjab (RGNUL)
- Chanakya National Law University, Patna (CNLU)
- The National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi (NUALS)
- National Law University Odisha, Cuttack (NLUO)
- National University of Study and Research in Law, Ranchi (NUSRL)
- National Law University and Judicial Academy, Assam (NLUJAA)
- Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University, Visakhapatnam (DSNLU)
- Tamil Nadu National Law School, Tiruchirappalli (TNNLS)
- Maharashtra National Law University, Mumbai (MNLU)
- Maharashtra National Law University, Nagpur (MNLU)
Eligibility for the Undergraduate Programme
Passed 10+2 or equivalent examination with a minimum of (i) 45% marks in case of candidates belonging to General/OBC/Specially abled persons categories and (ii) 40% marks in case of candidates belonging to SC/STcategory.
A candidate appearing in the qualifying examination in March/April 2017 is also eligible to apply.
Age Limit:Candidates shall be below Twenty (20) Years of age as on 1st July 2017 in case of all Unreserved/NRIs/NRI Sponsored categories candidates.
(ii) Candidates shall be below Twenty Two (22) years of age as on 1st July 2017 in case of SC/ST/ OBC/Specially Abled Persons (SAP) category candidates.
Eligibility for the Postgraduate Programme
Educational Qualification:LL.B. or equivalent degree examination with a minimum of 55% marks in case of General/OBC/Specially abled persons categories and 50% in case of SC/ST category.
A candidate appearing in the qualifying examination in April/May 2017 is also eligible to apply.